The Ohio State Crew was founded in 1978 as the first rowing program at The Ohio State University as well as the first rowing program in central Ohio. The club comprises a men’s and women’s team and is funded mainly through contributions from the student athletes, fundraising, and the alumni association. Alums have gone on to coach at prominent collegiate programs as well as win olympic gold.
The program is currently accepting applications for the dual role of Director of Rowing (DOR) and Men’s Head Coach. Experience working with athletic departments/club sports programs as well as navigating city bureaucracy is desired but not required. Applicants should have prior rowing instruction experience. The DOR will be in charge of shaping the overall program, in compliance with Rec Sports, with the assistance of a dedicated group of alumni. Overall roles include but aren’t limited to selecting the coaching staff, developing the training program, and working with local partners on overarching projects of the program.
While overseeing the overall program, the DOR will also be the Men’s Head Coach. They will be responsible for planning and running the varsity men’s practices, providing race support, and transporting and maintaining equipment (truck and trailer provided by the program).
Candidates should show a desire to set the tone for the program to work towards becoming a perennial Dad Vails and ACRA podium contender. The program has a strong base and desires a coach to structure a training program that is rigorous but also conducive for the student athletes’ academic commitments.
See below for the list of responsibilities:
Director of Rowing Responsibilities:
• Manage compliance with The Ohio State University and club sports as well as the city of Columbus
• Build rapport with diverse alumni base
• Hire, develop, and oversee coaching staff
• Develop a comprehensive training program
• Maintain and transport equipment
• Oversee the officer corps in areas of communications, travel logistics, budgeting, fundraising, and risk management
• Assist team with athlete recruitment
Men’s Head Coach Responsibilities:
• Build a podium men’s program
• Run varsity men’s practices
• Prior rowing experience
• 3+ years or rowing coach experience, including long term planning and team logistics
• Ability to run practices 6 days a week through the fall, winter, and spring seasons
• Ability to relocate to the greater Columbus, OH area if not already residing in the area
• Attended/attend CPR and first aid training in the past year
• SafeSport compliant (either in compliance or willing to become compliant)
• 3+ years of experience as a head coach of a collegiate program
• Experience working in a collegiate environment
• Experience working on long term projects with multiple partners (ie university, athletic department, alumni, government)
• Experience towing rowing trailers
Interested candidates should send resumes to Jason Yung, Search Committee Co-Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 30th.